Friday, April 23, 2010

chapter 13 questioning the media

1. Are you exposed to popular culture from other countries? Why or why not? give some examples.

There are alot of different popular cultures from other countries that I am exposed to almost everyday. For example, I am exposed to food from other countries everyday, but that doesn't mean I eat it everyday. I am exposed to food like mexican such as tacos, burritos, chips & salsa, etc. Another popular culture I am exposed to everyday is the clothing people wear. In the winter, people wear scarfs that are from other countries like the Middle East. Also, I usually see some Muslim women quite often which are dressed from head to toe, except for their faces. Television allows me to be exposed to alot of other popular culture from others countries daily as well.

2. Do you read international news? Why or why not?

Sometimes I do read international news for various reasons. One of the main reasons I read international news is to keep up with the war in Iraq and its impact on other countries. For example, the war affects other countries operations in which the US heavily relies on for its citizens like clothing and petroleum. Since not only the US is in an economic crisis, several other countries are as well. I like to read about companies centralized in the US, but are severely impacted by foreign economic downturn. In my policy class, I have done papers on companies like Chevron, Honda, Johnson & Johnson, and Bank of America. It has been interesting to see how the foreign markets affect the profits of these companies.
5. Is there such a thing as a global village? What does this concept mean to you?
In my opinion, I think that there are numerous global villages out there. The term global village is used to describe the internet and the things people can access on it. There is no limit as to how people can interact with one another globally on the internet and find people with the same interests and concerns as themself. To me, a good example of a global village who be internet dating site such as eharmony, etc. This is because people can interact with others and find that someone special they have been looking for with the same interests as themselves no matter the location of each person.

No comments:

Post a Comment